A part from the anthology called “Mahamakut Ratchakunanuson” composed by Krom Phra Narathip has also mentioned to the construction of Phra Nakhon Khiri in Thai verses giving the meanings as follows.
“ The king appointed the great general, Si Suriyawong, as the site director of the construction and his younger brother Phet Phisai as the project manager, who has recently returned from England as a member of the diplomatic mission. A magnificent Palace is erected on top of the hill called Maha Samana in Phetchaburi province on 3 distinctive peaks”
Phra Nakhon Khiri is divided into 2 zones by the mount peak ranges, Buddhist site and palace zone. Buddhist site is on the east and middle peak of the mountain. The west peak of mountain provides the palace zone and other buildings where King Mongkut pleased to build the throne hall, royal villa and buildings in this area and royally gave the rhythmic names to them.
Somdet Phra Chao Borommawong Thoe Krom Phraya Damrong Rajanubhab has mentioned to King Mongkut in a part of his writing composition “ Kwarm Song Jam (Memmory) ” that “ King Mongkut had an opinion that there would be a world change if the westerners were way more dominant over the east and Thailand could likely be involving with westerners in the future. So he started studying English and other knowledge. In terms of the ways of his studying from English books, it was evident that he studied one of computational subjects when 40 – 47 years of age, then he began to study English including other knowledge about westerners.”
From his knowledge about westerners, he adopted western architectures to the palaces and throne halls in his reign. For example, Ananta Samakhom throne hall in Phra Apinao Niwet royal house at the grand palace and also Phra Nakhon Khiri royal palace.
The neo-classic style was brought to Phra Nakhon Khiri for the main ideal but the builders were still stuck in Chinese style like ridgepole molding and half curved roof tiles
Getting Phra Nakhon Khiri
The way to Phra Nakhon Khiri is not a staircase but there is actually a brick road down to the theatre for wheelers and horses to easily reach Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall. In the past, the royal procession went there by the royal barge like steamships and royal sided-machine barge, then changed to small boats to the estuary in Ban Laem sub-district in Phetchaburi province and then changed to the horses to get Phra Nakhon Khiri.
His Royal Highness Prince Chula Chakrabongse referred to His Majesty King Mongkut in some parts of his writing composition “ Chao Cheewit (Lord of Life)” that “ A mountain near Phetchaburi city, there is a gorgeous palace in European style. Scenery of the sea can be seen from the peak and there can mostly get in by horses for hours in a day.” and “ King Rama IV possessed a 2-wheel western chariot as well as 2 harnesses and he rode himself often. He was like a bridge between new thing and old thing. Namely, he still favored and took a royal transport called Saliang (Litter) and also his sons and daughters did that either.”
Apart from horses and wheelers, sometimes he took the litters carried by Song or Thai Song Dam tribesmen who were directed by their head with the chamberlain rank. As the leader, many privileges were served. For example, yearly allowance, registration of government officials for lineages and appointment for servants in the palace, royally given uniform and exception of severance tax which was permanently canceled by 2481 B.E. Worker uniform consisted of a kind of a black trouser, black collar tail-to-thigh shirt with over 10 silver buttons on a row and Kamar band with alternated white eel filament strips. When any kings came to Phra Nakhon Khiri, they must have always been there for them. Those settled down at Yee Hon bridge area, Rai Don sub-district in Muang Phetchaburi district as it is Baan Rai Don of Rai Som sub-district in Phetchaburi province in the present.
Phra Nakhon Khiri can be considered as both a historical construction and a building set deserving constant conservation for long-staying elegance. It is not just only a palace packing with a collection of throne halls, Raja Monthian royal castles, fortresses and royal temples that His Majesty King Mongkut pleased to build, but also the first palace on the mountain with 3 connecting peaks in overall 300 square kilometers (According to borderline as declared in 2nd Thai Government Gazette, volume 109, chapter 94, issued date in July 28th, 2535 B.E.). In King Mongkut reign, Phra Nakhon Khiri is highly glorious and he came here many times in a year. On his birthday, Phetchaburi governor cooperated with city department to decorate Phra Nakhon Khiri with buntings and prepare the sets of altar tables every year. In the evening, the monks were invited for Buddhist auspicious incantation prayer at Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall and Pramot Mahai Sawan throne hall. The nighttime, there were illuminations of lanterns hanging at the poles and on the strings. Also the torches were decorated around the palace and fireworks were provided for lighting. Many of amusements in the temple and 3 days of sky lantern celebrations were held in the residential area at the market every year. This ceremony was discontinued from 2403 B.E. till the end of King Chulalongkorn reign.
In the early reign of His Majesty King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) after ascending the throne, he sometimes came to the palace to reside as well as used it for the royal guest house. It is said that Phetchaburi Province and Phra Nakhon Khiri highly were enhanced in a reputation for country as the tourist attractions at that time. On Sunday, the 11th day of the waning moon on the 11th lunar month in the year of Goat, there was a strike of lightning on the vertex of Wetchayan Wichian Prasat throne hall and it resulted in a damage of the throne hall. His Majesty King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) has then asked Phraya Surin Tara Luechai to have Thai and Chinese wrights restored it and other area in Phra Nakhon Khiri with the royal intention to use it as a temporary residence and host his guests. In late 2452 B.E., he pleased to renovate the buildings on the west peak as well as decorate and adapt Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall to accommodate his guests visitng Phra Nakhon Khiri in early 2453 B.E.
Since then over 43 years, there were no any clues of restoration in Phra Nakhon Khiri. Time lapsed until 2496 B.E., His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX) accompanied with Her Majesty Queen Sirikit visited there and saw it. They saw the declination of the throne halls and buildings. So they want to restore the palace as the former condition. In addition, the Fine Arts Department has made an examination and a record as an important national historic site in the Thai Government Gazette, volume 52, chapter 78, issued date on March 8th, 2478 B.E. The zone of historic site entirely covers all 3 peaks of the mountain including 20 meters of further area from the foothill. In 2524 B.E., the Fine Arts Department has then presented a project plan to conserve arts and cultures in the 5th National Economic and Social Development Plan under “ Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park Project ”. This plan had been started since 2525 B.E. and finally finished as they planned in 2530 B.E. spending 30 million Baht of total budget.
As the long history, Phra Nakhon Khiri affects in academic values that are still left in the present and deserved to study. Particularly, they have shown the potentialities of His Majesty King Mingkut including architects in term of construction controls, layouts, right locations for the buildings such as shrine zone, outer court, inner court, pavilion halls and fortresses which are perfect fit for topography of mountain peaks accordingly separated by area usage benefits and connected with curved and sloped pathways along the hillsides.
The shapes of the buildings in Phra Nakhon Khiri feature their own unique identities which point out the different usage benefits. For instance, Chatchawan Wiang Chai Astrodome (Lighthouse) is an airy round building with transparent glass dome and surrounding terrace down to the floor. This lighthouse was designed for observation and browsing the landscape all around. For another one, Phi Man Phet Ma Ha Suan hall is a collection of 3 small buildings located in strategically peaceful area and suitable for religious precept observation and meditation. Petch Poom Pai Rot and Pramot Mahai Sawan throne halls are in the group of big buildings expressing themselves as the beautiful residential halls. Other buildings such as Tim Dap Ongkarak for security, Ratcha Wallaphakan, Sala Dan, Sala Luk Khun, small vihara, etc. They all are designed for taking benefits of the royal palace in the country.
Though most buildings in Phra Nakhon Khiri keep the different looks of Thai style buildings in the past, the builders were capable to bring the unique combination of international styles in art and building constructions to become a harmonious style. That is another kind of Thai architecture representing the praiseworthy era. For example, using the half arched roof tiles and stuccos like Chinese roofing combining with arched windows, using arched beam adding to the buildings like western contemporary architecture, using Thai architecture for building proportion of rectangular shape, using local construction materials like Phetchaburi art style of stuccos, using the old-style roughcasts, using clay tiles and using techniques for buildings to securely fit on the rocky mountains and against the wind. All are from supreme capabilities of craftsmen.
Archive of visiting Phra Nakhon Khiri in King Rama IV reign
His Majesty King Mongkut had a plenty of favors in weather and beautiful landscape of Phetchaburi city. During his ordination, he visited Khao Yoi cave in Khao Yoi district, Phetchaburi province to practice Buddhist teaching and stayed overnight at Maha Samanaram temple located at the foothill of Phra Nakhon Khiri. After he was enthroned, he always came and stayed at Phetchaburi throughout his reign.
Till December 19th, 2401 B.E. (The 14th day of the waxing moon on the first lunar month in the year of Horse in 1858 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut visited Phetchaburi for his 8th year by river transportation to inspect Khao Luang cave and stayed in a chancel in Khao Luang for a night. This chancel was a temporary residence that Phraya Sri Suriyawong assigned Phraya Ratchaburi to lead Ratchaburi people to offer and build it on the mountain as well as the east foothill. His visit this time was to check the restoration progression of 26 Buddha statues according to the royal command to Phraya Phetchaburi and the department to build the stairs down to Khao Luang cave. He would come to see them after they were finished. If there were any lacquer varnish, it was needed to tell him and he would find it. There was no matter if those stairs could be either made of bricks and cements or wood. If wooden stairs were built, the rails should have been stable. Later in the 12th lunar month in the year of Horse in 1858 CE, Phraya Phetchaburi asked him for 30 liters of Muang Chaiya lacquer varnish and 200 liters of Samook lacquer varnish and requested Meun Sawannimit, deputy of technical department, to cover the statues with gold leaves because he was aware of the humidity in the cave that might be causing damages.
In December 20th, 2401 B.E (The 15th day of the waxing moon on the first lunar month in the year of Horse in 1858 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut visited Sa Mon mountain and stayed for a night at in a chancel at Kai Luang Bangtalu, a temporary residence that Phraya Maha Sri Suriyawong had Phraya Phetchaburi led Phetchaburi people to build for him.
After this visit in Phetchaburi, His Majesty King Mongkut thought about building Phra Nakhon Khiri and then pleased Phra Borom Borirak Chao Krom Phra Tamruat to create an idea with Phraya Phetchaburi (Bua) to present him.
In the date of March 18th, 2401 BE (Friday, the 15th day of the waxing moon on the 4th lunar month in the year of Horse in 1858 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut came to Phetchaburi to inspect the restoration of Buddha statues at Khao Luang and see the construction of a royal villa on Sa Mon mountain.
Then July 7th, 2402 BE (Thursday, the 8th day of the waxing moon on the 8th lunar month in the year of Goat in 1859 CE), the construction of Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall was started.
In October 27th, 2402 BE (the 2nd day of the waxing moon on the 12th lunar month in the year of Goat in 1859 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut visited Phetchaburi again and was followed by Her Highness Princesses and royal mothers. This time, people were pleased to set down the sacrifices at the front of their houses to welcome him and offer the royal Kathina robes over 40 royal temples. (The number of royal temples was decreased later to let general people offer them as well. Only Maha Samanaram and Kong Karam temples were remained.) After offering the royal Kathina robes, he accompanied with members of royal family came to Khao Luang cave to cover Buddha statues with gold leaves. Due to a lot of gold leaves, he was afraid of robbers. Then he gave the royal command to the official of finance and treasury in order to arrange extra money to Phraya Phetchaburi for hiring the Lao Puan and Lao Song Dam tribes to look after them for 1 Fiang (Old Thai currency) a day starting from the 1st day of the waxing moon on the 1st lunar month in the Year of Goat 1859 CE to the 4th lunar month in the same year for 4 months in total 118 Fiang and 3 Tam Lueng of coins, 2 Baht 3 Saleung.
On Friday, October 28th, 2402 BE (The 13th day of the waxing moon on the 12th lunar month in the year of Goat in 1859 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut came to check the restoration in Khao Luang cave and construction on Mahasawan mountain with his royal intention to build a Khmer stone castle on the top of the mountain on the east.
Till May 10th, 2403 BE, he visited Phetchaburi for the second time of the year to see the construction of Phra Nakhon Khiri.
In June 24th, 2403 BE, he visited Phetchaburi for the third time to welcome the parade of Buddha statues consisting of 10 Dhammyuttika provost images and Satyr idols and place them in Maha Samanaram temple and in Phi Man Phet Ma Ha Suan hall. He also pleased the prayer to be taken place at the new monastic cell in Maha Samanaram temple.
In October 20th 2403 BE, after his Royal Ceremony of 56th Birthday Anniversary was finished, he visited Phetchaburi by the royal barge. He arrived estuary of Ban Laem at 9:00 am and arrived Phra Nakhon Khiri at 2:00 pm.
In the afternoon of October 22nd, 2403 BE, he traveled along the mountain until Phranon Yai temple (Puttha Saiyat temple). He stopped by there and offered Kathina robes in the chapel. Her Royal Highness Princess Duang Prapa and Her Royal Highness Princess Suda Sawan, daughters of His Majesty King Pinklao, also followed him and he pleased to let them play with flowers next to Phra Non assembly hall. Suddenly, a ruby came off Princess Suda Sawan’s ring. Thao Somsak had someone found it for her and she gave him a reward. That ring was said to be Somdet Phra Sri Suriyendramataya’s ring. This visit, His Majesty King Mongkut pleased Her Royal Highness Princess Somavadi Sriratanarajadhida and Her Royal Highness Princess Prapatsorn, his daughters, together with Her Royal Highness Princess Duang Prapa and Her Royal Highness Princess Suda Sawan, daughters of His Majesty King Pinklao to offer Kathina robes at Khao Bandai It temple and Maha That temple.
In October 23rd, 2403 BE, His Majesty King Mongkut offered the triple robes of a Bhikkhu to all monks in Maha Samanaram temple and made merit for Somdet Phra Sri Suriyendramataya in the occasion of her death. He also pleased to make merit for the brand new Sart Trakom hall (Phi Man Phet Ma Ha Suan hall) and respectfully invited the bronze Buddha statues of Phra Chai Ka Lai and Phra Hai Soke by parading them into the hall.
In May 6th, 2404 BE (Monday, the 12th day of the waning moon on the 6th lunar month in the year of Rooster in 1861 CE), a stone pagoda, Phra Suttha Salae chedi, was erected on the mountain peak on the east side and designed by His Royal Highness Prince Krom Khun Racha Siha Vikrom following His Majesty King Mongkut’s idea.
In November 12th, 2404 BE (Tuesday, the 10th day of the waxing moon on the 12th lunar month in the year of Rooster in 1861 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut visited Phra Nakhon Khiri to see the Mercury overlaying the sun.
In February 12th, 2404 BE (Wednesday, the 13th day of the waxing moon on the 3rd lunar month in the year of Rooster in 1861 CE), a Prussian diplomat, Count Friedrich Albrecht zu Eulenburg or called Mr. Count Eulenburg at that time, met His Majesty King Mongkut and left him for Phetchaburi by boat. Then His Majesty King Mongkut wrote a rescript to His Royal Highness Prince Kak Nang Yukon (Krom Luang Pichi Preechakorn) who was staying in Phra Nakhon Khiri to welcome and take him for the tour following the way on the mountain such as Phra Non (Sleeping Buddha), Khao Luang, Bandai It and downtown. If there was a car, it was pleased to get him a drive. For the return, a royal barge of Seph Sahai was well provided at Phetchaburi in order to bring him to shoal.
In March 2404 BE (the 4th lunar month in the year of Rooster 1861 CE), Chao Phraya Sri Suriyawong wrote a letter for Phraya Phet Pisai Sri Sawat to the deputy in order to provide Hollanda diplomat together with Mr. Traimas and his 5 Javanese employees the accommodations, carts and tour leaders for trips and finding plants in Phetchaburi downtown.
In May 7th, 2405 BE (Wednesday, the 9th day of the waxing moon on the 6th lunar month in 1862 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut came to Phra Nakhon Khiri and pleased to arrange the ceremony of Assumption of the Royal Residence and put 7 large relics in the Phra Suttha Salae chedi. The celebration was held for 4 nights, 3 days (From Wednesday, the 9th day of the waxing moon to Saturday, the 12th day of the waxing moon on the 6th lunar month). Also the worship was held by setting down the sacrifices, multi-tiered umbrellas, lights around the pagoda. There was the performance of prelude such as horns, conch shells, mandolins, gongs, drums. In the evening, the monks were invited for Buddha’s mantra and 20 of them would receive the alms every morning. Also the offerings were given to the monks after sermon every day. In the daytime, Khon (Thai mask play) and puppet plays were shown while the open-air movies, fireworks and coin scatter to people were ready at nighttime. Then he returned Bangkok by May 12th, 2405 BE.
In January 25th, 2405 BE, he traveled to Phetchaburi by a steamship but there was an evidence of stopping by Si Chang Island before reaching Phetchaburi city in January 29th. He was in Phra Nakhon Khiri until February 7th, 2405 BE before his return.
In May 10th, 2406 BE, Colonel Robel brought the French insignia, Legion D'honneur, to King Mongkut as well as King Pinklao. For this reason, he pleased the diplomats to take the tours in Phetchaburi and Phra Nakhon Khiri.
In June 18th, 2406 BE after the diplomats from Netherland came to meet and give him the royal letter from King William III, he asked the diplomatic mission to visit Phetchaburi city for 4 days.
In January 5th, 2407 BE (Thursday, the 9th day of the waxing moon on the 2nd lunar month in the year of Rat in 1864 CE), His Majesty King Mongkut visited Phetchaburi.
In January 13th, 2407 BE (Friday, the 2nd day of the waning moon on the 2nd lunar month in the year of Rat in 1864 CE), he pleased to perform the royal tonsure ceremony of Her Royal Highness Princess Bhaktra Bimalabarna and Her Royal Highness Princess Manyabhadhorn at the age of 10. In the afternoon, 30 monks were invited for Buddha’s mantra at Ratcha Thamma Sapha throne hall listened by the procession starting from a royal villa at the riverside of Phetchaburi river along Ratchawithi road for 3 days.
In January 16th, 2407 BE (Monday, the 5th day of the waning moon on the 2nd lunar month in the year of Rat in 1864 CE) the royal tonsure ceremony was performed in the morning and there was a prelude procession in the afternoon for a day. Everything was the same like in the royal tonsure ceremony of Her Royal Highness Princess Ying Yaowalak in Bangkok except Kailash mountain. There was entertainment such as Khon (Thai mask play), movies, plays and music. In the evening, His Majesty King Mongkut lighted the sky lanterns and pleased to see a royal play of Inao as Wad royal mother, the first concubine, starred as Inao.
In January 20th, 2407 BE (Friday, the 9th day of the waning moon on the 2nd lunar month in the year of Rat in 1864 CE), he returned Bangkok.
In February 13th, 2407 BE (Monday, the 3rd day of the waning moon on the 3rd lunar month in the year of Rat in 1864 CE), he took Akkarat Woradet royal barge to stay at Phra Nakhon Khiri for a night before Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi.
In March 25th, 2408 BE, he accompanied with royal sons and daughters of His Majesty King Pinklao temporarily resided at Phra Nakhon Khiri. Also the senior general Mr.W. H. Read, owner of A. L. Johnson and Co. followed and asked him about wiring the telegraph from Yangon to Singapore before his return on April 7th, 2409 BE and April 24th, 2409 BE. Siamese government issued the authorization letter of telegraph wiring through some part of Siamese land.
Archive of visiting Phra Nakhon Khiri in King Rama V reign
There was a big renovation at entire Phra Nakhon Khiri in His Majesty King Chulalongkorn or King Rama V reign for his temporary residence and royal guest house.
In February 12th, 2418 BE, His Majesty King Chulalongkorn visited Phetchaburi by a royal barge together with members of royal family and followers. Once he arrived the chancel in Bang Krog Sub-district in Baan Mai, he talked with governor and officials. Then he continued with a royal car until he reached Phra Nakhon Khiri and saw Petch Poom Pai Rot, Pramot Mahai Sawan, Ratcha Thamma Sapha throne halls.
In February 14th, 2418 BE, he left Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall. After that, Kanchanaburi and Phetchaburi governors had an audience with him and then he went to Ban Dai It mountain.
In February 15th, 2418 BE, he left Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall and Phetchaburi civil servants had an audience with him. He royally gave high-quality clothes to them during having an audience with him, namely, Phra Pon Songkram, Luang Ram Ritthirong, Luang Yong Yothi, Luang Pakdi Songkram, Naiyam Dekcha, Luang Pipat, Petch Poom Yokkabat, Luang Wichit Pakdee, Luang Mahatthai, Khun Sussadi, Khun Paeng, Khun Kwaeng, Khun Suppamattra, Khun Thep, Khun Rongpalat and Khun Thepburi. In addition, he royally gave some Tumlueng (Old Thai currency) to the errand boys acquainted with him since His Majesty King Mongkut reign. He visited Phetchaburi and then left Phra Nakhon Khiri and talked with Doctor Mcfarland at the foothill. His trip was continued to Khao Luang cave and paid respect to 4 Buddha statues with the names of King Rama 1-4 and then he returned.
In February 17th, 2418 BE, he went to Maha Samanaram temple and royally donated some money to monks, abbots and laymen.
In February 10th, 2429 BE, he travelled by the royal barge and stayed overnight on it at Baan Laem bay.
February 12th, 2429 BE, he took the boat to the chancel in Baan Mai and a warm welcome was served by civil servants in Phetchaburi. After that, he rode a chariot to Phra Nakhon Khiri. All classes of Buddhist monks prayed Chayan To prayer at the assembly hall at the front of Mahasawan mountain.
In February 13th, 2429 BE, he visited many places. For example, he went to Mahasawan mountain with female royalties. Peng cave, Pung cave and Phra Puttha Sai Yas temple can be seen there. In the afternoon, he moved to Khao Luang. Around 8 pm, he left Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall and let the nobilities have an audience with him until he came back to the palace around 10.
In February 14th, 2429 BE in the early evening, he saw the cattle yoke racing from people at the yard in front of Mahasawan mountain. Around 9 pm, he left Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall and let senior civil servants have an audience with him. He pleased Lao Song Dam tribe to play Lao reed mouthorgan and then royally gave the awards to the winners until he returned the palace at 11.00 pm.
In February 17th, 2429, he left Petch Poom Pai Rot throne hall. Prince Krom Phra Sommut Amonpan let doctor Danlap, doctor Thomson and Mr. Cooper have an audience with him and received an order of building school and hospital in Phetchaburi. He joined the donating in this matter for 2400 Baht.
In March 1st, 2429 BE, he went to a stupa on the mountain peak at Maha Samanaram temple and pleased Phraya Surin Tara Luechai to restore it. Then he took a shortcut down to Maha Samanaram temple to see the chapel and had the monks prayed Chai Mongkol mantra. After that he was out to the road until Phetchaburi river waterside and changed to the royal barge at the river. Then he left Baan Laem bay for Sam Roi Yot.
From July 24th – 28th, 2447 BE, he took his personal trip to Phetchaburi. Especially, he came to Phra Nakhon Khiri to offer the cone-shaped candles to the monks in the Buddhist Lent day in July 28th.
Till September 11th, 2452 BE, he traveled by the royal barge along Phetchaburi river until reaching the estuary of Baan Laem with the governor official residence at the front.
In September 13th, 2452 BE, he invested with renovation for 800 Baht at Maha Samanaram temple.
In September 16th, 2452 BE, he went to Phra Nakhon Khiri and please senior monks from some temples to have an audience with him. For this matter, Phra Kru Maha Vihara Pirak (Pook), a provost from Wat Yai Suwannaram temple, was pleased to have an audience with him and royally given a fan of honor. Also Wat Yai Suwannaram temple was upgraded to a royal temple. Then he had the lunch at Phra Nakhon Khiri.
In September 17th, 2452 BE, he let the attendants from Phetchaburi and royally invest them with the royal coins of Rajaruchi and some money. He thanked all the attendants for well taking care of properties in Phra Nakhon Khiri.
In December 5th, 2452 BE, he came to Phra Nakhon Khiri to observe additional decoration of the palace in order to welcome his guests.
In January 31st, 2453 BE, Duke Johann Albrecht of Mecklenburg, a regent from Brunswick, accompanied with Princess Elisabeth of Stolberg-Rossla, his wife, visited Phetchaburi. He pleased Krom Phraya Damrong Rajanubhab, his little brother, to welcome them at Phra Nakhon Khiri and there were fireworks for them. They returned Bangkok by the royal train on February 4th, 2453 BE.
In July 13th, 2453 BE, he came to stay in the chancel at the front of Phra Nakhon Khiri to wait for the procession of the royal naga, son of Phraya Surin Tara Luechai, governor in Phetchaburi. When the procession came, he moved into a chapel in Maha Samanaram temple. He was there until the ceremony was done. Then he went to the chancel in Baan Peun.
When His Majesty King Chulalongkorn appointed the Ratchaburi as a county in 2437 BE, Phetchaburi was also governed by this county. He often visited Phetchaburi because of weather conditions in rainy season and his illness. Especially, September period was not suitable to stay at Phra Nakhon Khiri. So he pleased to build another palace at Baan Peun but he was passed away before it was finished. Later, His Majesty King Vajiravudh, also known as King Rama VI, pleased to continue the construction and royally gave the name as Phra Ram Ratchaniwet.