Prasat Sdok Kok Thom
Prasat Sdok Kok Thom is located at Nong Ya Kaeo village, Moo 6, Tambon Khok Sung, Amphoe Khok Sung, Sa Kaeo Province and away from the border of Thailand – Cambodia about 1 kilometer.
It was originally called “Prasat Muang Phrao”, and then Prasat Sadok Kok Thom and Prasat Sdok Kok Thom. The word “Sdok Kok Thom” is Khmer language, “Sdok”came from “Sadok” which meant to overgrown, “Kok” meant to reeds, and “Thom” meant to large. Therefore, “Sdok Kok Thom” meant to overgrown with large reeds.
The religious place was built in 1595 B.E., in the reign of King Uthai Thitayavarman II (1593 – 1609 B.E.) to bestow the Brahmin who left the buddhist monkhood named “Sri Chayantaravarman” or his former name “Sadashiva”. This Brahmin was a son-in- law of King Suryavarman I and also an officiant who performed the Royal Coronation Ceremony to King Uthai Thitayavarman II.2
Prasat Sdok Kok Thom was constructed by the style of Khmer architecture. It consists of the important buildings as Main Prasat and two Banalai that surrounded with cloister and defensive wall. All of the building were constructed of sandstone and laterite and also decorated a surface of main area by engraving pattern on a stone texture. It is the picture that told a story of Brahmanism – Hinduism and the floral pattern which could be comparable to the art of Ancient Khmer Culture by a merging of Klang and Baphuon Styles. In addition, it can be defined age around the late 16th century Buddha and built for Shaivism, a sect of Brahmanism which is Khmer art with a style of Klang and Baphuon.
Prasat Sdok Kok Thom meant to the large Prasat with the overgrown with large reeds. It was constructed of stone and laterite and facing to the east. The Main Prasat according to the inscription has been mentioned that it placed “Shiva lingam Base” and “Yoni Base”. It can be assumed that this Prasat was built in the 15th century Buddha for placing an icon and performing a ritual as Hindu beliefs.
Prasat Sdok Kok Thom was built by the style of Khmer art. The layout of Prasat facing to the east. There are the Large Baray in the front part and connected with the pathway decorating with the pillar called “Sao Nang Rieng”, the Arch door called “Gopura”, and the building with cloister which constructed of sandstone and laterite surrounding the inner Prasat.
There was a discovering of the two stone inscriptions which engraved with Ancient Khmer Alphabet. They are the important evidences that were able to indicate the age as well as the purpose of construction. The 2nd stone inscription of Sdok Kok Thom is important because it has mentioned to the name list of Khmer Kings since the period of Phra Nakhon Town to the period of King Uthai Thitayavarman II.
The Fine Arts Department, under the Ministry of Culture has registered the Prasat Sdok Kok Thom ancient site for the first time and announced in the Government Gazette, 52nd volume, on 8th March 2478. After that, it specified the area of ancient site and announced in the Government Gazette, 114th volume, 81st special part, on 15th September 2540 includes the areas of 641 Rai, 2 Ngan, 82 Tarang Wa (1.026728 square kilometers).
Establishment of the Historical Park